Fix package dependencies (#657)

Authored by snowleopard on Aug 24 2018, 5:25 AM.

Description

Fix package dependencies (Trac #657)

This fixes Trac #654.

There are only two important changes.

  1. The first one fixes missing dependencies:
diff
-pkgDependencies = fmap (fmap PD.dependencies) . readPackageDataFile
+pkgDependencies = fmap (fmap (map pkgName . packageDependencies)) . readCabalFile

Here PD.dependencies returned versioned package names, e.g. ghc-8.7, which then failed to match with non-versioned package names such as ghc in contextDependencies. Switching from PD.dependencies to packageDependencies fixes this.

  1. I clearly remember that we didn't have this bug before, so I added some tests for our package dependency infrastructure to prevent such regressions in future:
haskell
testDependencies :: Action ()
testDependencies = do
    putBuild "==== pkgDependencies"
    depLists <- mapM (pkgDependencies . vanillaContext Stage1) ghcPackages
    test $ and [ deps == sort deps | Just deps <- depLists ]
    putBuild "==== Dependencies of the 'ghc-bin' binary"
    ghcDeps <- pkgDependencies (vanillaContext Stage1 ghc)
    test $ isJust ghcDeps
    test $ pkgName compiler `elem` fromJust ghcDeps
    stage0Deps <- contextDependencies (vanillaContext Stage0 ghc)
    stage1Deps <- contextDependencies (vanillaContext Stage1 ghc)
    stage2Deps <- contextDependencies (vanillaContext Stage2 ghc)
    test $ vanillaContext Stage0 compiler `notElem` stage1Deps
    test $ vanillaContext Stage1 compiler `elem`    stage1Deps
    test $ vanillaContext Stage2 compiler `notElem` stage1Deps
    test $ stage1Deps /= stage0Deps
    test $ stage1Deps == stage2Deps

Everything else are cosmetic changes, fixing minor issues in comments, and adding TODOs. To figure out the failure in Trac #654 I had to read some code I didn't write and my hands were automatically fixing some style inconsistencies with the rest of the Hadrian code base. (I'd like to emphasise that I make no judgement about which style is better, it's merely an attempt to make the code base look more homogeneous, which I think is useful.)